Monday, October 6, 2008

There's this thing that eats your memory...what is it again...?

Today in the dentist's waiting room I read an article that mentioned how sustained cortisol levels in your blood - a marker of stress - can lead to memory loss. This evening, a mere 2.5 hours later, I attempted to recount the main points of the article to my husband. This is a rough transcript of the conversation - imagine a grocery store with the after work crowd, both my daughters making "suggestions" for the cart, me battling a slight hormone imbalance...

me: "So I read this article today about the negative effects of stress on health, and there was this part about - No Lily we don't need Apples!!! Stop begging! - anyway there was this link to..."

lily: "I'm not begging, I just asked if we could get apples!!!!

Fritz: "Let Mom get what she needs. She doesn't need your input."

Lily rolls her eyes.

me: "Maybe you and Dad should wait in the car so I can get through this with my sanity."

Lily: "NO!"

me: "Okay, so anyway, something about the cortisol levels in the blood doing something bad. I can't remember what it is but it really resonated with me."

3 comments:

Zoe said...

Oh Sweetheart, always leave them in the car! I know that kind of conversation. Neil and basically just stopped talking to each other when the kids were around because of exactly what you describe here. But take heart because now they are old enough that we can almost have a conversation AND include the kids in a meaningful way with out all that frustration.
I read to Lily today from Evan Stark's "Coercive Control". I was impressed with how long she listened! Maybe she just didn't find the cortisol news terribly relevant!

Neil Favreau said...

Are you nuts? Why would you even try to have that discussion with your kids around, in the grocery store no less. What are you, a rookie?
I know, I know, it's maddening sometimes to try and complete a sentence.
So anyway, there's some thing in my memory that eats cortland apples? Wha?

Neil

Michelle said...

Yes, I am nuts. That's the point!!!